Tuesday, March 18, 2008

SXSW Highlights

I got to South By Southwest late, but we made it count – 25 bands in 2.5 days. Third year in a row. I highly recommend it to anyone who can take a long weekend in mid-March. Here are the highlights:

Yeasayer – I’ve been trying to see this band for months, getting shut out of sold out shows in LA and Boston. True, they followed:
-a band called Indian Jewelry that I thought was called Indian Jewery;
-another band with a frontwoman who looked like an 8th grade boy dressed in pajamas and dangling her left arm like a gorilla (which, by the way, I loved, because they were the first band I saw at SXSW, and they blew my doors off);
-me missing the 10 pm deadline to pick up my wristband because my flight was delayed;
-my flight being delayed;
-business school.
But nevertheless, they’re good. Minimalist, high pitched, driving.

Billy Bragg – Each year at SXSW, we seem to stumble on a low-key day show that has the feel of an impromptu lap-dance, and that ends up being basically my fondest memory of the festival. Two years ago, it was Brit Daniel. Last year it was the Pony’s (because we snuck in!). This year, it was Billy. What a treat. 3 songs and a lecture, for Minnesota Public Radio. He had no voice after 4 shows the day before, but he tells the truth.

The Virgins – We went to The Bowery showcase on Friday night to see the Little Ones, but the Virgins turned out to be the show. Marfan-ish front man, fun dancing guitarist, snappy tunes – maybe like Apples in Stereo with a little more distortion? I’m trying here…

The Slits – Honestly, this is not my finest moment in journalism, because it was like 3 am and it was at the Red Bull Party (free Red Bull and Vodka, so you can imagine where that party went), but what I remember clearly is that she kept saying the word “Slits.” Sometimes just the singular “Slit.” Reggae, British, punk. I guess they’ve been around for a while – search me. All women, of course.

She and Him – This is M.Ward and Zoe Deschanel. You may have fallen in love with her in “Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy.” I know I did. Well, fell in love with her all over again. Their songs are simple and catchy – I’ve been singing “This Is Not A Test” more than I care to admit. I’m getting the album.

Thurston Moore – Of Sonic Youth. Probably the best musician I saw. Stoner rock, I guess. But really tight, complex, and riveting. I would really recommend seeing him if you have the chance.

The Most Serene Republic and The Constantines – I group them together because we saw them back to back at the Arts and Crafts showcase. This is the label that has Broken Social Scene, Stars, Apostle of Hustle, and The Stills, so I’ll always make sure to see their showcase. I think both these bands need a little more seasoning, but both have a lot going for them. MSR has a bug-eyed dude with a mustache in front, and a woman with a voice like buttah really attacking her guitar. They need to stop it with all the 11:4 crap, but they’re good. The lead singer of the Constantines had the thickest voice of anyone we saw.

Hansen – Yup. Hansen. Andrew got a text message in the middle that said “If they don’t play mm-bop you guys need to burn that mother down.” They didn’t play it. We burned down La Zona Rosa. Who do they think they are? The funniest thing – they were good, but it was more funny – is that even though they’ve clearly re-made themselves, they’re sort of doing the same thing; they are very pretty young men, and they definitely travel as a unit…

David Garza – This guy has been around Austin for a while, but at 1 am on Sunday morning, he had us dancing faster than 24 other bands. 4 words: Blinking Neon Hoola Hoop.

White Jackson – Debuted at 4 am Sunday morning. Guitarist Dan Berwick, Drummer Jacob Parisa’s Friend. Once we figure out how to work that guitar amp properly, we are going to melt some faces.

PS: If you haven't seen the Obama speech from today, watch it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so fun. luvh, you should've been there.