Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Tale of Racism

Jindal post part two will be coming to this page soon, but in the meantime, a tale of racism.

Thursday I went for some late night pho with my friend PS, who is African American. We were the only customers who weren't Vietnamese or Korean, and at one point, a group of diners were pointing and laughing at us. I didn't really notice, but PS and I had the following exchange:

PS: Did you hear what they just said?
LR: What?
PS: It was so racist.
LR: I'm sorry, man, that sucks.
PS: No! It was racist against you!
(pause)
LR: Well, I guess I was just being a little racist against you.
PS: They were calling you "slumdog."
LR: Bummer.

UPDATE: Upon further review, I think I was also being a little racist towards the racists, for making a generalization about their racism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

to be honest, they called you "kumar." i didnt think that was still relevant, so i updated their slur. does that make me racist?

Anonymous said...

to be fair, I did go to a party with Luvh and Kumar, and couldn't tell which one was in Der Freischutz.
-B