Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Pickle Endorses...

We're gonna keep our powder dry a bit longer on the Presidential race, but I finished filling out my MA absentee ballot this morning, and I'd like to tell you how I voted on the three statewide ballot questions:

1) State income tax repeal. Gimme a break. Vote NO.

2) Marijuana Decriminalization. This would make possession of less than an ounce a civil offense. I'm voting YES. It's troubling to me that many elected officials and law enforcement PACs are opposing it. But I think that's politics - in fact, enough individual officers and former officers are supporting it, and prosecuting small marijuana offenses is a waste of money and too punitive.

3) Elimination of Greyhound Racing. This was the tough one. I'm voting NO. There are good arguments on both sides. The dogs are treated horribly. It's a dying industry anyway that has needed state support. And as one supporter told me, if you visit Wonderland, "it feels like hell." But for two reasons, I'm voting against it. First and most importantly, this is not a good time to kill an industry. Second, I don't think we should be telling people what to do if we don't have to. That second reason on its own would not be enough to make me vote against this, but the timing is all wrong. So here's my deal: I'm voting NO now, but when the economy recovers, if it's back on the ballot, I'll be very inclined to vote for it.

Incidentally, I found this as I was trying to make sure I had considered all the arguments. Very nice and democratic.

No comments: