Sunday, February 3, 2008

New Slang

While it’s something I have legitimate interest in, the above promise of “attempted slang coinage” admittedly has an element of tongue in cheek to it. Setting out to create slang, with a public intention of trying to get people to adopt it, seems to be a tall order (in the same way that it’s difficult to intentionally make a viral YouTube video).

However, seeing as how readers of The Pickle are drowning in wit and influence, let’s take a crack at it.

Lately, I’ve been abbreviating Dunkin’ Donuts as “Dundo’s.” “Can we stop at Dundo’s?” “Oof, I could use some Dundo’s.” “Well hurry up. Yes, I’m waiting. Outside the Dundo’s on 3rd.”

“Dundo’s” captures the whimsy of "Dunkin’ Donuts" but saves you two syllables. A few nears and dears have taken it up, but of course, success is met only when I (or you) hear it from a perfect stranger.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I prefer Dunknuts, but that's probably because my mind just automatically goes to the gutter when the opportunity arises. However, it's a moot point since there's only one Dunkin' Donuts I know of in Austin and it's too far north to actually patronize. Ahh...to be a New Englander again.