Thursday, May 21, 2009

Times Reader

My day today started in my favorite way for a day to start - at the diner around the corner from my house, with a delicious egg and cheese sandwich and the New York Times. Today's paper had an add for the new Times Reader 2.0, which is designed to simulate at least part of the experience of reading the actual physical newspaper. It does. Part of the reason I don't like reading the paper online is that, perhaps antiquatedly, I think there's a reason the editors put the stories in the order they put them in in the actual paper, and I'm inclined to follow their expert advice, at least to a first approximation. This is similar to my feeling that legislators are there to make laws and pass budgets, so California might want to focus more on electing legislators who share their priorities and less on negotiating those priorities line by line at the ballot box. But I'll leave that to Luvh and stick with the point of my post, and just say that after downloading the Times Reader and checking it out, it does address that issue quite well.

But the other reason I like to read the actual physical newspaper it just that it feels better. I stare at this damn screen enough as it is. I like that the first hour of my day is a pre-computer hour. And at least for the moment, it's not very enjoyable to take my mac to the diner and surround it with food and beverage. It's not very practical, either - my waitress poured coffee all over A11 today.

They tell me my days are numbered, but I just don't see it. Maybe they'll stop giving me an actual physical newspaper soon, but I really don't think I'm about to stop wanting one.

No comments: