Thursday, January 7, 2010

Coinage: Hipster Garbage

My friend, Dave Bennet, posted on Facebook the following update: "Where the Wild Things Are. Boo. Hipster Garbage."

I had always wanted a pithy phrase to describe my antipathy towards Wes Anderson movies, and there it was! Hipster Garbage!

What, exactly, qualifies something as hipster garbage, of course, should vary from person to person, but I sense that everyone has a clear concept of what it means. It need not even be particularly negative. Some things that are clearly hipster garbage may have real value (for example, The Royal Tannebaums.)

My best (working) definition is:
Hipster Garbage (n.): a work of popular culture that displays some or all of the following characteristics: it is pointless, boring, and technically impossible. Yet hipsters think it is genius.

Wes Anderson is my quintessential hipster garbage auteur. Who are your favorite creators of hipster garbage? Bands? Movies? Books?

2 comments:

Cowboy Wisdom said...

Beck. Beck for sure. Listen, love a lot of Beck songs, think his experimental take refreshing... But come on? When you get right down to the music and the lyrics, I believe there's some serious hipster garbage in there. It's subjective I know, and maybe I just don't get it. But it took White Stripes to make me realize that music can be experimental and still be cohesive with extractable meaningful lyrics. Beck lyrics appear as though someone pulled the words off a scrabble board. Gorillaz also puts out some hipster garbage. Entertaining, yes. But, McDonalds tastes pretty good too. Doesn't mean it's quality.

Peter said...

Yep. Beck is definitely hipster garbage in my book, too.